- This event has passed.
House of the Commons: Day 2
October 22, 2016
The Root Issues – joining the dots
10:00-11:15 – Inequality and Neoliberalism with Ross Ashcroft, Sara Mahmoud
- Sara Mahmoud: The Housing Act and current policy environment – highlighting the multiple failures of recent governments and policy to offer real solutions to the housing situation.
- Ross Ashcroft: The big challenges ahead – neoliberalism, its failings and how it has fuelled the current climate, followed by a positive outlook to tackling some of the biggest challenges of our time.
Gentrification, Resistance and Building Renters Power
11:15-12:00 – Current Housing Landscape with Take Back the City and Radical Housing Network – linking Campaigns
12:00-12:15 – BREAK
12:15-13:15- Gentrification, Resistance and Renters Rights with Aysen Dennis of Aylesbury Estate, Save Earl’s Court Supporters Club and UK Renters
13:15-14:00 – LUNCH
The (Un)landed generation?
14:15-15:30 – Relationship between land and money with Josh Ryan-Collins, Danny Dorling and Mary Robertson.
- Josh Ryan-Collins (New Economics Foundation): Where does money come from? – The function of money in society and how land is being used by the rich to deepen inequality
- Danny Dorling: Inequality and the housing crisis – connecting the global situation to where we can act today
- Mary Robertson: An alternative mactoeconomic response – how we might invest in a more equal society through a focus on building programmes rather than demand-side solutions.
15:45-16:00 – BREAK
16:00-17:00 – Land for What? – a participatory session on the history of land in Britain and the future for land-based solutions with Land for What, Shared Assets, Ubele, Community Food Growers Network, Radical Housing Network and Land Workers Alliance.
Practical green building workshop:
11:00-17:00 – Hands on building with Hempen – learn to build your own hempcrete blocks with Joe McGahan and friends from Hempen, with locally grown hemp from their farm near Reading. Get messy and learn how hemp can be used to create one of the lowest impact building materials!
NOTE: This event has expired.